Are you questioning whether you should do DIY HVAC repairs yourself as showing on YouTube and or schedule a professional repair service? Our experts at Harkins A/C, Heating & Controls suggest that you can do both depending on the issue at hand.
When Should You Do-It-Yourself?
Don’t let the complexity of your heating and cooling system hinder you from doing some easy checks and repairs yourself. After all, not all HVAC tasks need professional skills. Here are some services that are safe for you to tackle on your own:
- Changing Air Filters. Replacing your air filters regularly can extend your unit’s lifespan and improve its efficiency. It is recommended to change air filters once a month or more often when you see it clogged with dirt and dust.
- Keep HVAC Systems Clean. If you want your system to work smoothly throughout the year, you need to keep the outdoor component clean and free of obstructions.
- Improve Home Insulation. Check out the Energy Star’s DIY Sealing and Insulating Guide to provide your home with adequate insulation. Proper insulation maintains the efficiency of your unit and lowers your energy bill.
When Do You Need Professional Help?
If you are in doubt of your DIY skills and for issues concerning complex procedures and calculations, you need to call a pro right away. If you encounter intricate issues such as these problems mentioned below, immediately call a trained HVAC technician.
- HVAC Installation. Finding a replacement and installing a new unit are complicated tasks. It needs thorough planning, precise calculations, and accurate set-up of components to ensure a properly functioning unit. There are lots of considerations for this matter, and a well-trained HVAC expert can help you get the job done.
- HVAC Repairs. When it comes to heating and air conditioning repairs, there is no doubt about calling a professional technician. An average Joe without enough knowledge on HVAC details can turn a simple issue into a major concern. To ensure suitable fixes for your malfunctioning HVAC system, seek professional help.
- Maintenance and Tune-Up. Cleaning can be a DIY task, but for the complex parts of your system, you will need a professional hand. A tune-up and maintenance check do more than just cleaning; it ensures that every part of your component works in harmony with each other to give your home proper heating and cooling. A licensed and well-trained technician can guarantee all these.
You can always choose to do some HVAC stuff yourself, but when in doubt, call the pros. For your professional service needs in Baton Rouge and nearby areas, you can always ask help from our professionals at Harkins Air Conditioning, Heating, and Controls. Give us a call!